Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas, Canners and Cows!

Merry Christmas!!

One of my favorite gifts this year is my pressure canner from my mom. I've tried my hand at water bath canning- only once- and it went well, but for most veggies a pressure canner is required. I can't wait to try it out. My husband got me the accessory kit, which will make canning much easier!

I also finished a book I was reading called the Family Cow Handbook.
The Family Cow Handbook: A Guide to Keeping a Milk Cow
I enjoyed the book immensely, since it mostly centered around keeping a single cow on pasture, which is what we'd like to do. I enjoy reading all livestock books, but so many seem built around monoculture, large herds, and confinement barns, which is not at all how I'd like to raise my animals. It was great to read a book for the small homestead cow-keeper. The book was also full of different ways to use all of the milk a cow can provide. One bit of discordance I found, though, was that while the author promoted the drinking of raw milk, all of the recipes for cheese and yogurt required pasteurizing the milk. I don't know much about cheesemaking yet, but I know that yogurt can be made from raw milk. Here's a great recipe.

Happy Farming!

No comments:

Post a Comment