Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gourds

I decided to try starting my gourd seeds indoors this year. I'm a horrible seed-starter, so I try to directly sow everything outside. Unfortunately, Wisconsin doesn't have the longest growing season, so I had to try something to extend the season. Before I did anything, though, I naturally got a gourd book at the library!
Gourds in Your Garden: A Guidebook for the Home Gardener

Gourds in Your Garden is the book I picked. It focuses on growing decorative gourds, big and small, and the luffa type gourds (which is what I'm growing.) If you're looking to grow pumpkins or other squashes, which are apparently sometimes referred to as gourds- I didn't know that!- this isn't the book. But there is tons of great information that was easily digested by a novice gourd-grower like me.

Armed with my new gourd knowledge, I soaked my seeds overnight (for two nights, accidentally. Oops!) and then planted them in an old food container with a clear lid. Then I put them in the window. Gourd seeds can take a long time to germinate, weeks sometimes, so I don't expect anything to happen soon. Just crossing my fingers and waiting for now.

Happy Farming!

No comments:

Post a Comment